Recovery Sponsorship

~Heb 6:10 God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.

If your new in the program people may ask if you've found a sponsor yet. This is someone who has gone through the steps and maintains recovery from his or her addiction through continuing to work the program who will come alongside you as you walk the same path.

A sponsor is nothing more, nothing less, than a mentor. Take advantage of the opportunity to pick the brain of someone who's taken the high road to make it easier on yourself.

Look for someone who thinks like you do. If you're extremely independent and don't take direction well, a demanding person who expects you to call them every day might not be the right choice for you.

You'll want to consider someone who is like-minded about faith. Sharing your deep convictions about Jesus may not go over so well with a Jewish or atheist sponsor.

You may want to seek out a mentor who shares your difficulties. Those with anorexia and/or bulimia have unique issues that not all compulsive over eaters can understand. An alcoholic from a wealthy lifestyle may not relate well to the guy who's been homeless. The addict dealing with meth addiction is in a much different place than someone addicted to prescription pain killers.

For me, a mentor is an encourager, one who holds me accountable, a counselor and a prayer partner. She will be a good listener, will pray before offering advice, and will always tell me what she really thinks. She must be able to discern where I'm falling off track to gently guide me back in the right direction.

A good sponsor will help you grow in faith as you grow in recovery. I'm blessed to have a sponsor that suits my needs perfectly.

There came a day when someone saw something in my program they could relate to and asked me to sponsor them. It was a bit intimidating at first. But as I prayed, I realized, it's not about what I do or say that will make the difference in anyone's recovery. It's all about how I live and sharing what worked to help me overcome my addictions. What was given to me by my sponsor is shared with those I sponsor. And that's how it works. I follow direction and pass it on.

May you also be blessed with just the right someone to lead you up the steps of recovery. God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.

Father, guide each one to the person who can best help them grow along spiritual lines to recover from whatever holds them back from becoming the person You intended. May we fulfill the purposes You've set for each of us for Your glory. Until Jesus returns, in His name we pray, amen.