Think On These Things

One of my favorite verses in Scripture is Philippians 4:8 ~ Finally, brothers (and sisters), whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.

I can be awfully negative. On days when things aren't going well, I focus on the negative in everything I look at - TV ads, people, my house, drivers, street conditions, traffic lights, grocery store lines - you name it. Everything is against me, damaged, stupid or constructed poorly. I know 'cause I'm so perfect, right? WRONG.

One day a woman I know was complaining about her husband's mother - "My mother-in-law is controlling, whiny, mean, critical, a hypochondriac and she hates me," she said. And I sat staring at her thinking, "you just described yourself and how you feel about her."

Surely we've all heard the admonition about finger pointing - when I point one at you there are three pointing back at me. If I'm looking at the mote in someone else's eye, it might be a good idea to check out the tele-pole in my own and get rid of it first.

I can choose my attitude at any given moment no matter what kind of day I'm having. Stinkin' thinkin' can be turned into an opportunity to count my blessings. Don't balk, I didn't say it would be easy. I said it was doable.

When I take all those negative thoughts and turn them into a gratitude list, I suddenly realize how great and wonderful God is - that if I truly got what I deserved, I'd already be dead and smokin' in hell! So lets refocus right now and reflect on the things Paul suggests.

What is true? God loves us (John 3:16), God is good (Mic. 5:4), everything God does is for our good (Rom. 8:28), God promises to care for us (Psalm 23:1) God is everlasting (Rev. 1:8.)

What is noble? God is King of Kings (1 Tim. 6:15), Jesus went to the cross for us (Acts 2:23), the apostles traveled great distances and at great risk to bring the gospel to us for salvation (Acts 8:25.)

What is right? That I study and memorize Scripture (Heb. 8:10), to not lose heart and continue doing good (Heb. 12:3), God has a purpose for my life (Eph. 2:10), I can call someone in the program for support and guidance, I can journal about what troubles me, I can pray (1 Thes. 5:17.)

What is pure? Jesus. A rushing crisp clear mountain spring. Early morning in the country when the dew rests on fields of corn. A newborn baby before tainted by the world.

What is lovely? A meadow of purple lupine spread before a placid lake in the early morning mist. A sunset over the ocean. A full moon set amongst the stars on a clear night viewed from an unpopulated mountain.

What is admirable? A missionary reaching out to the poverty stricken in a war torn nation. Serving as a volunteer in the program or a hospital. Visiting a lonely soul in a nursing home. Writing a letter to a soldier at war.

If anything is excellent or praiseworthy - working the steps; getting a sponsor; taking sound advice from your sponsor; sharing your experience, strength and hope with others in the program; sponsoring someone; taking charge of your own recovery and being responsible.

Think about such things.

And then Paul says in verse nine, "Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me-put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."

O Lord, how marvelous Your ways, how perfect Your plans. You have taken care of ever detail to make life on earth work like a well oiled machine. Yet we have somehow managed to muck up just about everything we've touched with our sin. Forgive us Father. Forgive us for our selfishness, For our bad attitude and complaining, for forgetting that our reward is not here on earth but in heaven, for forgetting the price Jesus paid for our sakes. We are truly sorry and humbled Lord, that You have provided all we need and we've taken it for granted; failed to be grateful. Thank You Jesus for the cross. Thank You for Your forgiveness. Thank You for all that we are, have and do. Thank You for the trials that strengthen us for Your purposes. Guide us now by Your Holy Spirit, show us the way to go. In Jesus' name we pray, amen.