Taking Daily Inventory - Righting the Wrongs

~ Prov 14:9 Fools mock at making amends for sin, but goodwill is found among the upright.

The tenth step tells us to continue to take personal inventory and when we're wrong, promptly admit it. If it seems a bit daunting to have to review your actions and make amends every day, let me put your mind at rest.

As you've surely learned by now, any new habit takes about 21 days to establish. The longer we commit ourselves to our new habit, the easier it becomes. In time, this daily review will be as natural as brushing your teeth before bed.

Sometimes you'll find little things to correct like snapping at your spouse over something unimportant or forgetting to call someone you promised to call back. Those are easily rectified stumbles. It's important to remember the amends is not just saying "I'm sorry I hurt you." It's an apology with intent to change behavior. Has snapping at people when you don't get your way become your standard reaction? What might you do to respond in a more acceptable way?

Then there are the bigger messes we must clean up and sometimes they can't be done so quickly, but the outcome shoud be the same - how will I handle this differently in the future?

One day I picked up my prints in the photo department of Walgreens and noticed some comfy yoga pants in a sale bin. I grabbed a couple pair on my way out, noting that one pair was a much nicer quality and had a higher price tag on it. I assumed the sale price would show up at the register which often happens. However, the items rang up at different prices.

When I told the clerk the pants were both on the sale table, she called for the assistant manager who adamantly insisted I pay the full price for the better pants. By now I was getting angry and pushed my point on principle. I argued that where I came from and was trained in retail sales, the customer was always right. Now the assistant manager called for the manager. This young man immediately apologized and told the girls to deduct the higher value and charge the sale price. I went home smug and happy. But it didn't last long.

I couldn't sleep that night. I laid awake thinking I could have better demonstrated a life in Christ by humbly conceding to pay the full price - after all, it was only a difference of three dollars. I resolved to repay the difference and finally went to sleep. The next morning I wrote a check for the difference plus tax and mailed it along with a letter of apology for being such a nuisance and disrupting the employees routine. I wrote that, as a Christian, I realized I was not setting a good example to the world, I was ashamed of my behavior, and I hoped they would not judge other Christians by my foolish actions and attitude.

It felt like a 200 pound barbell was taken off my shoulders. A few days later I received a letter from the local Walgreens. I was sure it was some sort of "thanks for your honesty." It was much more than that, the manager returned my check with a note saying, "the customer is always right. We should have been more careful to keep our merchandise in it's proper place."

This situation was full of lessons for all involved. Think about each person and how they were affected by a simple amends - including me, perhaps most of all. Do you see how your actions might shine the light of Christ for a watching world?

Daily inventory is crucial for our continued recovery.

As you travel this road of recovery, may God remind you to stop often, review your actions, and get back on track wherever you've strayed. Would you know that unsurpassable peace as a result of keep your side of the street well cleaned. In Jesus' name, amen.