Walking Through the Proverbs 1:20-27

Proverbs 1:20-27
20 Wisdom shouts in the streets. She cries out in the public square. 21 She calls out to the crowds along the main street, and to those in front of city hall. 22 "You simpletons!" she cries. "How long will you go on being simpleminded? How long will you mockers relish your mocking? How long will you fools fight the facts? 23 Come here and listen to me! I'll pour out the spirit of wisdom upon you and make you wise. 24 "I called you so often, but you didn't come. I reached out to you, but you paid no attention. 25 You ignored my advice and rejected the correction I offered. 26 So I will laugh when you are in trouble! I will mock you when disaster overtakes you — 27 when calamity overcomes you like a storm, when you are engulfed by trouble, and when anguish and distress overwhelm you. NLT

My son is still living in his addiction and is not yet ready to admit it rules him. He is the very description of the one who turns away from wisdom. When things fall apart, he always finds someone else to blame. He refuses to admit the problem is wearing his clothes.

We have all been there, perhaps are even still fighting her. She can be brutal. Our nature is to rebel. "No, not me, I can do this on my own!" we cry, shunning the hand that reaches out to us.

Today is a new day, rather than say "neigh!" like the wild horse in fear, let's say yes to better judgment, the voice of one who's cleared the hard road before us, who understands the joy of abiding in wisdom.

We choose - wisdom and peace, or following our own desires and ultimate folly.

Lord we bow down to You, humbly letting go of our pride, submitting to Your will. Wisdom comes with fear of the Lord. We stand in awe before Your majesty. Rain down Your wisdom to our minds, give us ears to hear and the will to move according to Your purposes. In Jesus' name we pray, amen.