Journey Through Proverbs 2:10

Proverbs 2:10 For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.

I don't remember much of my early days of sobriety back in 1990. It seems as though I was running on autopilot, flying in fog most of the time.

Like a sponge, as the alcohol evaporated, I began to soak up the wisdom of those who had worked the program and found peace in abstinence. I wanted what they had and couldn't get enough of it.

As the fog began to clear, and the wisdom started permeating my arid spongy brain, it was indeed pleasant to my soul.

The discovery process was amazing. One day, someone asked me if I'd like to go bowling. For the first time in my life, I stopped to think about that. I asked myself, "would I like to go bowling? Do I like bowling?" Interestingly, when I was drinking, I never gave much thought to what I wanted to do. I did whatever everyone else was doing. Suddenly in sobriety, a whole world of choices opened up and I had to do some evaluating. Grinning ear to ear, I happily told my friend, "no thanks, I don't think I like bowling!"

Now that the fog has cleared, have you figured out what you find pleasant in your soul? This might be good time to do some investigation. Just what do you like to do? What kind of music do you really like to listen to? Would you rather be with people, or be alone? Soak in a tub, or take a quick shower? Read a book, or go to the movies? See an adventure story, romance or comedy?
As you soak up wisdom from working the steps and following instruction, pay attention to who you're becoming, what you love in life, and follow your instincts. This is who God really created you to be. Take pleasure in that!
For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.
O Lord, we rejoice in Your creation, in who we are, just as You made us. May this discovery process bring much joy as we soak up Your wisdom and draw closer in our walk with you. In Jesus' name, amen.