Journey Through Proverbs 1:33

Proverbs 1:33 But all who listen to me will live in peace and safety, unafraid of harm.

When I was a child, I had no real friends until I met Drew (not her real name.) She was always joking around and everyone loved her. Being with Drew brought me out of my lonely world and changed me completely. I learned to laugh and have fun, and even began to make friends of my own. Being with Drew opened up my world. She was also the one who introduced me to drugs and alcohol.

Drew was raised by good Christian parents. She had everything, to all outward appearances. But inside, she was an empty shell of a human being. When others weren't around she was miserable. I came across some photos of Drew the other day, and in each one she had the same expression on her face that could only be described as broken. There was a consuming sadness in her eyes. No one would ever guess by looking at those photographs that she was a natural comedienne who made everyone else laugh.

Why was Drew so disturbed? Like many of us, the emptiness she'd tried to fill with drugs, alcohol and men, was a God sized void. She needed the Lord.

Drew has been married to a very abusive man for some twenty years now. I connected with her a couple years ago and although her home life didn't look any different than her haunted photos, her heart did. There was a light in her eyes I hadn't seen since childhood. She told me she'd accepted Christ as her Savior and was attending a Christian church across the street from her home.

Life is different when we follow God..."all who listen to me will live in peace and safety, unafraid of harm."

I'm no longer afraid to die and I'm not afraid of evil people. I've often wondered, when I've found myself in a threatening situation, what would I say and do if I was car-jacked, mugged or raped. Many times I've run the scenarios in my head and the conversation is always about the saving grace of Jesus. Although I don't wish it, I'm not afraid of anyone who would do me harm. Ultimately, it would be an opportunity to share the gospel. If I'm killed I'll die in peace, and in the end, I'll be home with my Savior. Some say that's confidence. I say it's Godfidence.

Father, You've promised that all who listen to You will live in peace and safety, unafraid of harm. What a blessed assurance for us living in this dark and unstable world. Thank You that You're always with us, that no matter what happens, You win and we win. May Your word light our way today. We love You and praise You in the name of Jesus, amen.