Journey Through the Proverbs - 2:7



Proverbs 2:7 He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless.

In the months before I got sober, I was living with a man in Phoenix, whom at one point I thought I would marry. He tried to control my drinking by allowing me no more than two beers each evening.

I had reached a low point in my life after my father died and nothing made sense to me. In searching for answers I met with a priest and told him I wanted to get right with God. He heard my confession and then said something like, "I cannot absolve you of your sins for I don't believe you're ready to give up your lifestyle and your confession is meaningless."

I left his office feeling rejected with a hole in my heart as big as the universe. Soon I moved out of my boyfriend's house, but not to prove the priest wrong because what he said was true. I needed the freedom to drink what I wanted, when I wanted. Yet in the stillness of the nights I had begun to pray that God would help me do what was right.

A few months later, without a conscious thought about changing jobs, I found myself looking at the want ads for some reason. I answered a post for a position in San Diego. By Providence, like a child thrown into the currents of a great river, over the next several years I was carried through circumstances and events that utterly changed my life and brought me to where I am today: a solid Christian; an instrument of God; conforming to His will as best I can.

For my husband's 45th birthday, I gave him a whitewater rafting trip he'd always wanted, bearing along Clear Creek through a glorious canyon. Before we put the raft in the water, our guide gave us careful instruction and made sure everyone understood what we were supposed to do to survive the trip. There were some tricky and dangerous rapids and huge rocks to navigate around. Our ears were completely attuned to hearing our guide. With direction from our fearless leader behind us calling out commands, we made it safely to our destination without capsizing or losing anyone. Our victory was exhilarating.

Our Father in heaven knows when we earnestly seek Him to live for His purposes, not ours. He provides the raft, the oars, and the strength. We have to do the work but our Guide is always behind us, calling out instructions. If we're to survive the course and experience the joy, we must be tuned into Him.

As a result of letting go of my plans and desires and seeking God's will for me, He is steadily carrying me along this stream of life cradled in the protection of His love. He shields me from dangerous rocks that loom in my path, undercurrents that try to suck me under and every kind of stormy weather. Some days the current is smooth and restful. Most days I'm just hanging on praying for strength to stay the course. But every victory is exhilarating!

If you're ready for the ride of your life, Your Father has prepared a raft for you. He will carry you through all the turmoil of life by the safest, most beautiful route. He provides what you need and the Holy Spirit will guide you with wisdom. Push off, it's exhilarating!

He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless.

O Lord, this is a rough and dangerous ride, yet beautiful and invigorating. May we stop fighting the current, sit upright, listen to Your instruction, be shielded from danger, and be blessed on this journey. In Jesus' name we pray, amen.