Journey Through Proverbs - 3:6


Proverbs 3:6 In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

A couple years ago there was a program on a cable channel I watched for awhile. Every time I watched Dead Like Me, I felt a twinge of guilt - would Jesus sit here and watch this with me? Does this glorify God? But I watched it anyway. It was a very funny show and I didn't want to give it up, despite the constant use of foul language and ungodly themes.

Viewing that one program led me to watch movies and other shows I wouldn't normally have seen. My soul began to feel like there was a layer of scum veiling me from God.

It's important to be in tune with the Holy Spirit. He's in each of us, niggling here, nudging there, to let us know when we're doing things that don't honor God. One thing always leads to another and we can become comfortable in that sludge.

We'll find ourselves on that slippery road by something as innocuous as attending a party where cravings are triggered by temptations presented. Then it's just one taste, one drink, one piece, one hit, one peek...

We can't acknowledge God in our prayer time, Bible study, or church and pretend He isn't at our side when we go where we have no business going. If you're asking yourself the question, "does this honor God?" you already know the answer. Just don't go there.

Repentance means turning around, going the other way. Sometimes for us, it means to literally run for our lives. If we come to God in confession and commit to changing our behavior, the only way to open the floodgates of God's blessings is by then following the direction of the Holy Spirit. The good news is, He does provide the strength, the courage and the guardrails to keep us on that path. He won't let us fall as long as we pursue Him.

When I stopped watching Dead Like Me, it was a decision that catapulted me back onto the road of peace. Little by little, I began to notice other areas where I'd veered away from God and He steered me right. It's amazing now to realize how far to the left I'd gone, completely unaware. That's the insidiousness of sin, how easily we're led astray. But over time, as I began to eliminate the distractions and refocus on my Savior, I regained the peace that surpasses all understanding.

In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. On your own, it's impossible, with God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)

What are you hanging onto that's leading you astray? Look to the Savior. The Holy Spirit will guide you.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
O Father in heaven, holy and perfect is Your name!
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
You rule Lord: Your purposes will be accomplished here on earth, just as in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
Provide for us Lord, we are satisfied with all that You give!
Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors.
Father forgive our sins, that which we can never repay You for all You've done and sacrificed on our behalf, according to our forgiveness of those who have hurt us.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Keep us from the road to destruction; protect us from Satan's lure.
For Thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory,
For everything is Yours, You are all powerful, and we give You all the glory!
Forever and ever.
For all eternity.

Eph 3:20-21 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.