Journey Through Proverbs - 2:18


Proverbs 2:18 For her house leads down to death and her paths to the spirits of the dead.

The number of times I've been faced with death are too numerous to recount. Four times were the direct result of following the spectre of death down her deadly path.

Hitchhiking all over the country with a big stick for protection, my friend, surrogate Mom and mentor once asked me, "what exactly are you gonna do with that big stick when somebody's pointing a gun at you or has you in a stranglehold?"

It was a good question, especially since I was utterly unprepared each time I faced the monster. It is literally only by the grace of God that I'm alive today to share a wee bit of wisdom. That bit of wisdom comes from experience, but more importantly, from God's word.

Had I been cruising on a righteous highway all those years instead of meandering down crooked, shadowy roads [any idiot can choose pleasure over safety and health,] I wouldn't have a story to share. My life might have been rather uneventful, peaceful, and fulfilling.

Rather, I chose to follow the wicked spectre of death to her door, and nearly pursued her right into the valley of darkness. My companions were all half-dead and knocking on the gates of hell.

Having escaped sexual assault, battery, overdose, blackouts, and my own thoughts of suicide, I now understand all of it could have been avoided had I only listened to Wisdom.

If you are in your waning years like me, be done with it. If you are young and think you're not done yet, be done with it. You have no idea what you'll miss out on if you continue to walk that path with those who walk in darkness. And chances are, you may not find the grace of God to save you as some of us did.

Why some of us have escaped while others have not, none can say. No one knows your story but God alone; He alone knows whether you will choose life or death, heaven or hell.

After all, it is our choice.

For her house leads down to death and her paths to the spirits of the dead. Don't go there.

O Lord, God of mercy and hope, You have given us everything we need and promised abundant blessings. Forgive us for our blunders, for having followed that wicked snake who walks on deadly roads. We're alive now in our abstinence, and we choose to serve You alone. We choose life. Guide us day by day with the brilliant light of our Savior. May His light shine through us for others, by the power of the Holy Spirit, drawing them away from the seductress of ill fate, and into Your glorious kingdom. In Jesus' name we pray, amen.