Journey Through Proverbs - 3:1-2


Proverbs 3:1-2 My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life and bring you peace. (paraphrased.)

NKJV My son, do not forget my law, but let your heart keep my commands; for length of days and long life and peace they will add to you.

God might title this section of Scripture, My Way, the High Way.

My body is breaking down, a natural result of aging. But it is in far worse shape than it needs to be. It was lovingly crafted by my Creator for His intended purposes. Despite my own better judgment (that still small voice that often alerted me like the Robot in Lost in Space warned, "danger, Will Robinson,") I lifted things that were beyond my capabilities, did a man's job which propelled erosion of my spinal disks, drank too much, ran with the wrong people and did things that ultimately caused damage to my delicate internal systems.

Suppose I had listened to that little voice instead of doing things my way? I would not have landed in the pit of despair, crying out for God's mercy. We could all divulge a fair share of coulda, woulda, shoulda that might have prevented the troubles we find ourselves facing today.

We can't do anything about past mistakes, but we can change our decisions today. We can commit to listening to that wise voice from within and obey the Holy Spirit of God.

Do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart. Read, study and memorize God's word, store it in your heart for when it's needed to help you make right choices.

They will prolong your life and bring you peace. God knows best. Let's do it His way in our own best interests. His way is a better high than we could ever attain from food, alcohol, drugs or any other addictive earthly pleasure.

Lord God, You are all we need. Your word is our will. Grant us divine attentiveness to the Holy Spirit to guide us this day according to Your plans and purposes for our lives. In Jesus' name we pray, amen.