4 - STEP THREE

Good Morning and praise God for a beautiful autumn day in Colorado and wherever you are!

Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly.
~ Psalm 5:3, NLT

There's a lovely way to start the day. Listen to my voice Lord...

We're at Step 3, from How it Works in the book of recovery, "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over the the care of God as we understood Him."

Have you made that decision? Are you ready to make that decision? It's just a decision.

Suppose I don't have any food in the cupboards and I'm hungry. I decide I need to go to the grocery store to get something to make for dinner. Does that decision put food on the table? Well of course not. I have to follow that decision with actions: put my shoes on, get my car keys, get in my car, start the car, drive to the store, do my shopping, bring the stuff home, cook the meal and eat it.

In the same way, making a decision to turn my life and will over to God must be followed by action. Prayer will help to move us into action. Bill Wilson provided a simple prayer in How it Works, written in rather archaic language, but you can say it any way that comes from your heart.

Father, I've made a fine mess of things down here. I've been selfish and self-centered, always wanting my own way - even demanding my own way. I've lived my life in self-will run riot and it hasn't done me a bit of good. Lord I know You love me, Your word tells me in Ephesians 2:10 You created me with a plan in mind, You have a purpose for my life. Now I ask you to forgive me for wandering down a road to destruction in disobedience. Bring me back into Your loving care. Holy Spirit, guide me according to my Father's plans, keep my eyes focused on the One who saved me, and grant me wisdom, strength and boldness to live for the gospel. Listen to my voice Lord, as I bring my request to You and wait expectantly! In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Great news - when I can't, He can! We can wait expectantly now, rejoicing that He will provide exactly what we need to stay on this road to recoery and become all that He intends for us to be for His purposes. Keep coming back, keep trusting Jesus!