3 - STEP TWO

In Step 2 from How it Works, we came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

So in Step 1 we accepted that we have a problem and that we were powerless to overcome it on our own. Since we're Christians, we have no problem trusting our Sovereign God to help us with this problem. But perhaps we had prayed for years to lose weight, stop drinking, give up the online role playing game - whatever our problem is that threatened to ruin us - and still nothing changed. So now we're going to look at this with a fresh mind and willingness.

You may recall reading about David's life, he struggled with some heavy stuff. Come on, let's face it, the guy had issues. He's married to God only knows how many women. He sees this gorgeous dame bathing on the rooftop across the way and decides he's king, he wants her, and he's going to have his way. He sends for her, seduces and falls in love with her and has her husband sent to the front lines in battle to his death. Of course poor old Uriah the Hittite didn't have a chance.

If you want the whole sordid story, it's the great romance/murder novel of the ages and you can read it here.

David was a selfish, self-centered, prideful sinner. Yet God loved him and blessed him over and over. He also allowed him to suffer the consequences of his sins.

If God could restore David after all he'd done, do you think he can handle our little problem?

When we realize God is on our side and wants to restore us for His purposes, we're ready to move on.

Dear Lord, I do realize I can't fix my problem alone. I need You. I know where I can't, You can! I believe Jesus died on the cross for me to give me new life in You and I know by the power of the Holy Spirit You can restore me from the insanity of my addiction. I am Yours Father, do as You will with me. In Jesus' name, amen.